Tuesday 12 February 2013

bonamassa in town

It's unusual that such a recognised and established American guitarist as Joe Bonamassa cites the 60's British and Irish blues players as a major influence on his blues style.
"You know, my heroes were the Columbine guys – Paul Kossoff, Peter Green, Eric Clapton. There’s so many - there’s Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher – another Irish musician who played the same things, but don’t tell him that. But those guys were my guys – Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page. There’s a certain sophistication to their approach to the blues that I really like, more so than the American blues that I was listening to. B. B. King’s a big influence – he’s probably my biggest traditional influence. I love Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson and T-Bone Walker and stuff like that, but I couldn’t sit down… I was always forcing myself to listen to whole records by them, where I’d rather listen to Humble Pie do "I'm Ready" than Muddy Waters, you know? I think, the English interpretation of the blues just hit me a lot better, you know?"
wiki
It shows particularly well on this version of Gary Moore's 'Midnight Blues'.

Joe Bonamassa plays London's Royal Albert Hall on 30th March. His last performance in 2009 sold out in a week. Expect the same again.